Relocation, Homesearch & Property Management for all busy professionals

Areas within Brighton

Brighton and Hove is England's most populous seaside city. Brighton and Hove forms part of the Brighton/Worthing/Littlehampton conurbation, the 12th largest conurbation in the United Kingdom. Directly to the west is Shoreham-by-Sea, and a short distance to the east are Peacehaven and Newhaven. The city, district and urban areas of Brighton and Hove have the biggest populations in the South East England region.

The city of Brighton and Hove comprises various different areas, some of which are described below.


Poets Corner/Aldrington

Known these days as 'the popular New Church Road area', 'Portland Road area' or 'Poets' Corner', Aldrington is the part of Hove bounded by Sackville Road in the East, Boundary Road in the West and the railway in the North.

Developed from 1880 onwards Poets Corner has changed little over the years but has kept a strong sense of community and the residents of this area have kept it a desirable place to live.

The area is dotted with small businesses and workshops which help the locality to thrive and the area has become very popular. The properties are still a mixture of flats (conversions) houses and maisonettes.

It is definately a popular place for families who can enjoy the many clubs and events on offer, including the annual Poets Corner festival.

Hanover

Hanover is principally a very steep hill, lined with streets of tightly packed Victorian cottages. Until the 1980s, Hanover was a generally poor area, but since then it has become gentrified to some extent.

The boundaries of the neighbourhood of Hanover are generally thought of as the area running up the hill to the east of the Level, towards Queen's Park Road, bounded on the north by Elm Grove and on the south by Sussex Street.

Properties are within walking distance of local shops, bus routes, parks, local schools and restaurants and it is an ideal area for easy access to Brighton city centre, Brighton Marina and The Sussex Downs.


Hove Park

This area is one of quiet suburban respectability and is named after the famous Hove Park in the heart of Hove. The park consists of tennis courts, children's play area, a bowling green and a cafe.

The Hove Park area is one of the most prestigious areas in Brighton and Hove with a variety of luxury homes with big gardens. Although mainly made up of detached family houses, there are also a number of large bungalows, chalets and some semi-detatched houses in the area.

The area has some of the best schools in the city close by as well as a library and Withdean sports complex, currently home to the city's football team Brighton & Hove Albion

Kemptown

Web address: website: www.kemptown.co.uk/
The parliamentary constituency of Kemptown runs to the east of Brighton Old Steine, Grand Parade and Lewes Road and continues eastwards to the Black Rock Valley.

Kemptown, Brighton is a flamboyant mix of grand seafront crescents, elegant squares, and a bustling High Street shopping area with a lively village feel.

Kemptown has been the main shopping area in this part of Brighton since the late 18th century, which is reflected in the many independent businesses still thriving along this bustling thoroughfare. From long established names to recent gems you’ll find an amazing array of fabulous food outlets, independent wine shops, second hand stores and chic design shops.

A bohemian, lively air mixed in with an eclectic range of shops makes Brighton Kemptown well worth taking a look at.


Hangleton

Web address: www.hangleton.net
The housing area is the usual suburban mix. There is an historic set of buildings - St Helen's Church and Hangleton Manor - as the core, with distinct groups of classic interwar semis spreading out from the Thirties roadhouse pub, The Grenadier.

The wider area surrounding and including Hangleton is commonly referred to as Hangleton and Knoll, The Knoll being a neighbouring estate. Various community initiatives serve both Hangleton and Knoll, although each has its own identity.

Portslade

Web address: www.portslade.com
Portslade Village, the original settlement a mile inland to the north, was built up in the 16th century. The arrival of the railway from Brighton in 1840 encouraged rapid development of the coastal area and in 1896 the southern part, known as Copperas Gap, was granted urban district status and renamed Portslade-by-Sea, making it distinct from Portslade Village. After World War II the district of Mile Oak was added. Today Portslade is bisected from east to west by the old A27 road (now the A270) between Brighton and Worthing, each part having a distinct character.

Portslade Village, to the north, nestles in a valley of the South Downs and still retains its rural character with flint buildings, a village green and the small parish church of St Nicholas, which is the second-oldest church in the city, dating from approximately 1150.

Portslade-by-Sea, to the south, straddles the small but busy seaport harbour basin of Shoreham harbour and is the industrial centre of Brighton and Hove; the Monarch's Way long-distance footpath follows the seafront west towards Shoreham. Terraced housing dating back to the nineteenth century is interspaced with parks and allotments. Boundary Road is the main shopping area as well as being the location of Portslade railway station, with direct trains to London Victoria with a journey time of about an hour. Boundary Road is, as the name suggests, located at the boundary between Portslade and neighbouring Hove.

Seven Dials

This district sits on a hilltop ridge northwest of the city centre. It takes its name from the seven roads that radiate outwards from the roundabout-controlled junction.

The housing in the area is mainly mid to late nineteenth century with some enclaves of interwar 'tudorbethan'

This part of the city has seen extensive development since the 1820s and so has become one of the most popular areas in which to live. Apart from the wide range of residential dwellings, it has developed as a base for a variety of business ventures, retail outlets and, in particular, bars and restaurants.

Saltdean

Saltdean was laid out in the 1930s with bungalows being selling for £350. Thirsty residents waited until 1953 for the opening of the first pub, the Spanish Lady, and the school dates from 1962. It is notable for two fine buildings, the Lido & Ocean Hotel. The Lido, built in Art Deco style, is still open during summer months. The Ocean Hotel, run for many years by Butlins, is now being greatly extended with housing development.
The road layout follows the contours of the land with a range of bungalows, houses and the odd flat development / conversion. It's popular with families and as a retirement area proving good community facilities.
(Photo via RIBA Library photographs collection.)

Franchise opportunities

To find out how
to become one
of our award
winning teams
click here

Not a Medic?
Don’t worry we’re here to help all professionals.
Find out more >

On The Move
We'll call you ...

Complete this short form
and we'll call you back

  1. *
  2. *